Behavior Modification deals with analysing and modifying human behaviour.
At Khushi, we seek to increase desirable behaviour and decrease undesirable behaviour. This is done though a functional assessment - which analyses the reason for the root cause for the behaviour. Functional Assessment gathers information about the antecedent events and reinforcing consequences for a behavioural pattern.
FUNCTIONS OF PROBLEM BEHAVIOR
- Self stimulatory
- Attention seeking
- For tangible items
- Avoidance behavior
- Behavior because of medical reasons
DIMENSIONS OF BEHAVIOR
- Frequency (how often it occurs)
- Duration (how long does it occurs)
CONDUCTING A FUNCTIONAL ASSESSMENT
- Define behavior
- Identify antecedents
- Identify consequences
- Make a hypothesis
- On the basis of hypothesis decide treatment by modulating antecedents/consequences
- Confirm hypothesis
- Deduct a treatment that is functionally equivalent to the problem behavior
We also use the following behavioural principles to teach new things to a child. Reinforcement, Extinction, Punishment, Stimulus Control, Shaping, Prompting and Transfer of Stimulus Control, Chaining, Differential Reinforcement, and Antecedent Control Procedures and more.