Social Skills training is imparted to both younger and school-going children with developmental disabilities. Our groups are carefully vetted to have the right mix of children, with the same level of developmental growth. If necessary we encourage a child to bring his own natural communication partner (sibling, cousin, friend) to foster communication.
Goals are written with parents to address specific needs of group members. These might include:
- responding to other people.
- expressing ideas to peers.
- waiting for a response from peers.
- negotiating deals
- taking turns
- knowing when to persist or let go of an idea
- interpreting facial expressions and voices
- understanding the rules of the game
- expressing various appropriate expressions
- understanding sharing and the concept of give and take